Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ricetta Riuscita!! (Recipe Success, more or less)


Italian biscotti-which are actually called Cantucci (kantuchi)- is one of those things I always loved, but NEVER thought I could make. They are actually so easy to make, if a little messy. And I'm happy to say that I was a little worried at first because the original dough was pretty sticky, but with the encouragement of my roommate (whose fantastically talented mother gave me the recipe) Success! Here's the recipe-all measurements are metric, one of the challenges of Italian cooking...

Almond Cantucci-
500 g Flour
350 g White Sugar
250 g Almonds
5 eggs
1 package yeast ( I used a solid yeast for bread, pizza and desserts, but I'm sure the powder would be fine)

Pre-heat oven to about 350°-375°. In a large bowl mix all ingredients together, it's better if you use your hands to get the egg and yeast mixed into the flour as well as possible. The dough will be very sticky, add small amounts of flour until the dough holds together enough to roll, it will be a bit like sugar cookie dough consistency.
Lightly flour a cookie sheet and flour a flat surface to roll on. You can roll the cantucci to whatever size you want, I like them bite sized. Once you've separated the dough and rolled them into long strips set them on the cookie sheet and press down very slightly. Put the dough in the oven until it begins to get firm. Remove the cookie sheet and cut diagonally into thumb width pieces and return to the oven until they are completely cooked (they will be golden brown on the under side. Cool the Cantucci on a piece of foil until they are completely cool (this will give them the crunchy texture, if you put them in containers before they are cool they will be a bit chewy.

This is the process I followed, as I only recieved written ingredient amounts and verbal instructions!! Good luck :)

No comments: